Mustaches have swept the nation! I am not sure where the trend started from but it grabbed my attention! I am highly amused by the finger mustache and puns involving them (see title). For my usual Sunday Funday baking extravaganza I try to bake something homemade. Well, this week I didn’t have time so I resorted to boxed cake and store bought icing to make an awesome mustache cake! When making this cake on your own, go ahead and use whatever flavor cake and I dare you to get wild with the icing color! Maybe a blonde mustache? This cake is so simple to make and you’re going to say to yourself “Why didn’t I think of that?!” With how popular mustaches have become this cake is bound to please all age groups!
Photo by: Amanda Hilderbrandt
For this cake you will need…
9 inch round cake pan
Toothpick or fork
Prepare the cake according to the directions on the box or per your recipe
- Bake cake according the recipe
- Remove cake from pan
- Let the cake cool completely
- Lightly outline a ying-yang swirl onto the cake (by doing this it will ensure that it is centered and even. No one wants a lopsided mustache).
- Once your line are perfect carefully cut the cake with a sharp knife
- Carefully arrange the cake by flipping one side so the rounder edges are touching (I arranged mine on a cookie sheet because it was easier to transport)
- Generously apply the icing (don’t worry about it being perfect)
- Use a toothpick or a fork to create hair like lines in the icing